How do we make the most PERFECT grilled cheese? The secret’s in the cooking method – use a toaster (or regular) oven, people! I don’t know if I’m just not good at skillet-made grilled cheese (or if I get way too distracted when I’m supposed to be watching it brown), but I tend to burn grilled cheese made on stovetop. Perhaps you do too!
A few years ago I discovered that it is absolutely amazing in the toaster oven on convection bake setting at 350F. If you don’t have a toaster oven, use your regular oven and a baking sheet but watch it closely! Use it the next time your kids are hangry or the rain starts pouring – it pairs nicely with tomato or vegetable soup, especially when cut into strips for dipping!
Here’s how to make it:
- Use Kerrygold or other grassed butter on one side of each slice of bread – we’re fans of Dave’s Killer Bread or Food for Life Ezekiel bread.
- Place Kerrygold Dubliner cheese found at Costco or Trader Joe’s sliced cheddar cheese between both slices, butter side out.
- Optional: add a slice of tomato, or try smashed peas/carrots like one of our followers recommended, before closing the sandwich.
- Place in the toaster oven preheated to 350F on a mini baking sheet (or regular oven on 350F on big baking sheet) and cook for 10-15 minutes or until perfectly golden brown.
- Let cool, serve with tomato or veggie soup and fruit, and enjoy!
Allergy note: use dairy-free butter alternative and dairy-free cheese + gluten-free bread if needed!